Witness for the Truth

Sandhedsvide is a term used by Danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard in his attempt to explain that "a witness to the truth" is a quintessential expression and faithful embodiment of true Christianity.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Accountability Part Two: Covenant of Accountability

Here is a covenant that I have written for helping individuals and small groups grow in their understanding of Biblical accountability. I pray you will be able to use it as a guide for instructing each other in Scriptural truth and for inspiring each other to develop vital spiritual relationships for the glory of God.

COVENANT OF CHRISTIAN ACCOUNTABILITY

In humbly seeking to live my entire life under the Lordship of Jesus Christ by doing everything to the glory of God (1 Cor 10:31) and in diligently striving to honor Him by doing everything in His name and giving thanks to God (Col 3:17), I do hereby faithfully commit myself to my brother in Jesus Christ by entering into this covenant agreement of accountability with him, trusting that God the Almighty will grant us the courage, strength, grace, and blessing to fulfill what we are boldly attempting for His glory, our joy, and the expansion of His glorious kingdom. Wholeheartedly knowing that we can sharpen each other in many invaluable ways (Prov 27:17), I willingly and joyfully endeavor to enter into this covenant of accountability with the profound responsibility and utmost awareness that the Lord will judge me according to my words (Matt 12:36) and works on the day of judgment (Rom 2:6; 1 Cor 3:10-15; 2 Cor 5:10; Rev 20:12-13).

AUTHORITY of Jesus Christ in God’s Kingdom

Knowing that the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable (Rom 11:29), I will seek to submit to God’s radical authority over my own life and in the life of His people (Matt 7:29; 28:18). I will sincerely challenge my brother in a spirit of love (Eph 4:15), eagerly support him in spiritual duties (Heb 10:24), rebuke him when necessary (Titus 2:15), and at all times endeavor to lead him to “walk in in a manner worthy of the Lord” (Col 1:10). I will exercise my authority and faith in Christ to fulfill all of the biblical commands concerning “one another” within the body of Christ. I will use my authority for building up and not for tearing down (2 Cor 10:8). I recognize that with authority comes the power to influence (2 Cor 10:13-16); therefore, I will prayerfully exercise this responsibility by exercising godly wisdom when speaking into the life of my brother (Ps 37:30; 49:3). I will not seek a “place of honor” (Luke 14:7-11), but rather humbly serve God where He places me and seek to expand His kingdom under His divine authority being expressed by a passionate pursuit for God’s glory (John 5:44; 7:18). I will seek to honor those whom God has placed above me as spiritual counsel by praying for their welfare and benefit and submitting to them (Hebrews 13:17). I will use my gifts in service for God (1 Peter 4:10) and fulfill my ministry I have received from the Lord (Col 4:17; 2 Tim 4:5).

AUTHENTICITY of the Character of My Life

Knowing that I want to be an authentic man of faith who expresses my love for God and others in real and sacrificial ways (1 John 3:16), I will pursue love (1 Cor 14:1) by following in the footsteps of Christ (1 John 2:6), having His mind (Phil 2:5), imitating Him (Eph 5:1; 1 Thess 1:6) and walking in His steps (1 John 2:3). I will despise hypocrisy (1 Pet 2:1) and forsake pride (Prov 16:18; 29:23) for the sake of considering others more important than myself (Phil 2:3). I will seek to have an honest, clean, and pure heart before Him through deep and transforming repentance (Ps 51). I will seek to be a man of one thing (Ps 27:4; Phil 3:10). I will strive to be a man who earnestly seeks God (Ps 24:6; 63:1; 141:8; 2 Chron 26:5) and a man whose heart is completely His (2 Chron 16:9). I will confess my sins and forsake evil so that I may prosper (Prov 28:13) and be healed (James 5:16). I will seek to be pure in heart (Ps 24:4; 73:1; ! Pet 1:22) by guarding and keeping His word (Ps 119:9) so that I may see God (Matt 5:8). I will make a covenant with my eyes (Job 31:1) so that in all things I may glorify God with my body (1 Cor 6:20; Phil 1:20). I will seek to bring honor to Jesus Christ in every aspect and activity of my daily living by “pursuing righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, and gentleness” (1 Tim 6:11).

AVAILABILITY for Blessing the Body of Christ

Knowing that the world will recognize we are His disciples when they see how much we love each other (John 13:34-35), I will seek to be a living witness of truth by humbling myself before my brother (Rom 12:16) and by being willing to help and support him at all times when he needs me, if it is within my power to do so (Prov 3:27-28). I will provide wise counsel (Prov 11:14; 24:6) so as to help my brother succeed in all of his worthy endeavors. In following the example of the Lord Jesus Christ, I will seek to never leave nor forsake my brother (Hebrews 13:5). I will seek to “do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God” (Micah 6:8) so as to be “salt and light” (Matt 5:13-16) and to redeem the time (Eph 5:16). I will maintain a diligent and consistent meeting time in order to discuss failures and successes (Hebrews 10:25), and will be sensitive to his spiritual, physical, and emotional needs (Romans 12:15; 1 John 3:16-18).

ACCOUNTABILITY to Jesus Christ for His Glory

Knowing that I must all give an account to God of all my steps (Rom 14:12; Job 31:37) and that nobody is hidden from His sight (Heb 4:13), I will strive to live my life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ (Phil 1:27). I will seek to bless and enrich those who have personally invested into my life (Prov 11:25). I will endeavor to be a faithful steward of my life (1 Cor 4:2). I will fulfill the ministry that God has given me (Acts 20:24). I will run in such a way so that I will not be disqualified (1 Cor 9:27). I will be accountable in the little things so that God may be honored (Matt 25:21). I will strive to live in transparent, open, honest, and accountable relationships so that my life may be a living witness of truth and love (Prov 14:25; Acts 1:8).

ABILITY for Obedience to God’s Will

Knowing that those who do the will of God will abide forever (1 John 2:17), I will trust Jesus Christ and Him alone to give me the grace, faith, and strength to fulfill my spiritual duties before Him and my brothers, remembering that apart from Him I can do nothing (John 15:5). I will accept that by the grace of God I am what I am and trust that His grace towards me is not in vain (1 Cor 15:10). I will in no manner trust my own [resources] to be of any effect in accomplishing the task God has given me (Proverbs 3:5-6). I will rest in the power of the Holy Spirit and trust that God is working in me to will and to work for His good pleasure (Phil 2:13). I will labor with the energy that God is powerfully working in me (Col 1:29). I will be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord my labor is not in vain (1 Cor 15:58)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being constrained by the cross of Christ (Luke 12:50), the word of Christ (Acts 4:20; 18:5), and the love of Christ (2 Cor 5:14-15), I will seek to live my life for the glory of God in all things (1 Cor 10:13), maximizing my joy in Him (Ps 37:4), and striving for my brother’s progress and joy in the faith (Phil 1:23-25). May God so grant me mercy, grace, faith, strength, and endurance to fulfill the ministry He has given me (Acts 20:24). AMEN!

No comments: